>From the documentation:
Computed groups—Explicit groups that you create and to which users are
assigned based on the memberships of explicit groups included in an
expression. For example, you can create a computed group definition
such as (A
AND B) OR C AND NOT D. This computed group includes the list of users
who
are members of both groups A and B, or members of group C, but not
members
of group D.
Computed groups make groups easier to manage. You can manage your
users
in a limited number of regular groups, and use computed groups based
on these
regular groups for more complex access control without the need to
make
changes in multiple groups.

I use computed groups in conjunction with roles for an application
that requires multiple groups for security.  The main role is mapped
to a computed group.  This main role is given access to the
application.  I then create all the security groups I need.  The
computed group contains all of these security groups.  The security
groups are mapped to roles to be used in the application.  When a user
needs to be given access to the app with certain security, I only need
to add them to one group.  They are automatically added to the
computed group and given access to the app and have the security of
the group they were added to.  You only need to use roles and map them
to groups when you are working with applications.
I hope that makes sense.

James