Chas,

I have a custom in-house built system that utilizes read licenses extensively.
The application is a Quote/Order system, here is how it works.

The sales users create their own quotes and do everything they need with their
own records, once the quote reaches a certain stage it is handed off to other
teams to fulfill the customers orders.  The sales users only see/touch their
own requests and as such, only have read licenses.  All other users of the
system have either Fixed or Floating licenses.

We have situations where one user will create a quote FOR a sales user…in that
case the submitter of the quote is the sales user in question instead of the
person pressing the button, but in this scenario, the sales user typically
picks the quote up once its created and works it just as if they had created it
to begin with….the person that created it for them is typically with a group
that has a write license, but if they happen to be another sales user, they
wouldn’t be able to modify the record after it was created anyway because they
also have a read license…so it would be up to the other read user to modify it
further anyway.

Based on everything I have read and the years of experience I have, this does
not ‘sidestep’ any rules, but abides by the rules quite nicely.