Doug,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Our approach for accessibility is indeed via the Mid-Tier, as you pointed
out that it is the recommended direction.  It is amazing the advantage the
Mid-Tier and JAWS provides in this set-up.

I tested the 7.5 Mid-Tier, but failed to mention this fact.  Setting for
the account are as you mentioned.

I see my mistake in following the "and later" mentality...dang developers.
I'll check the Matrix and we'll load up the recommendation and check it
out...that's the beauty of the Mid-Tier.

Regards,
Chad Whilding
Engineer
CSC

3725 Pentagon Blvd., Beavercreek, OH  45431-1706
North American Public Sector | p: +1-937.320-6342 | f:+1-937-320-???? |
cwhild...@csc.com | www.csc.com

delivery.
purpose.

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>

  |"Mueller, Doug" <doug_muel...@bmc.com>

|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>

  |arslist@ARSLIST.ORG

|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>

  |02/01/2011 03:09 PM

|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>

  |Re: Accessibility behavior with two keystrokes

Chad,

A couple of notes:

1) Have you set the Accessibility option in your User Preferences for the
user
   doing the work?  There is a setting where you indicate whether you are
in
   Vision, Low Vision, or No Vision mode.  You must be in the Low Vision or
No
   Vision mode for best results with screen readers.

2) You are on an older version of the system -- current is 7.6.4, previous
are
   7.6.3, 7.5 and then 7.0.  Significant improvements have been made over
the
   various releases in this area -- especially around table field handling.

   (although note that the result list is a special animal in the Windows
client
   and is not really a table -- although it is on the web client).

3) We have announced that the primary environment for accessibility support
for
   screen readers is the web.  That has been true since 7.5 (about 2
years).
   This is in line with the move to the web being the client and the
windows
   client being phased out.

4) JAWS is VERY particular about versions.  There are major (and
incompatible)
   changes that are made between versions.  We are in a constant battle
with
   this solution and interaction with the AR System.  The dynamic nature of
   screens is simply not handled well.

   The compatibility matrix carefully qualifies the version of JAWS that
are
   supported with the version of the AR System you are using.  With the 7.0
   version, I think it is JAWS 7 or 8.  This is a case where we DO NOT say
   "or later" since we know that that version has problems with later
versions
   of JAWS.

   I think the 7.6.4 release of the mid tier is aimed at JAWS 11/12 support
(but
   that needs to be checked in the compatibility matrix).

My suggestion is that you install a 7.6.4 mid-tier (for all kinds of
reasons but
especially for the Accessibility work you are doing).  You can use this
against
a 7.0 AR System server without problem.  That should give you the most
complete
functionality and support and support for the version (at least 11 and I
think
it includes 12) of JAWS that you are using.

The area of accessibility is a challenging one.  There are may difficulties
with
dynamic screens and the use of various screen readers and the standards
have not
come together in the area of dynamic change.  There is one caled ARIA that
is
moving along and trying to come up with things to address this area and we
are
tracking that standard.

I hope this information is useful,

Doug Mueller