With all infrastructure components (Apache, Tomcat, etc.) that come bundled
with software stacks I suggest maintaining the infrastructure separate from
the actual applications.  I look at the bundled components as a helper to
get things easily deployed (for the purposes of a reference implementation,
demos, etc.) but not as a production ready application stack.  There are
some vendors that only support their software on the bundled Tomcat/JBoss,
etc., in my opinion, this is a horrible practice because they rarely (if
ever) keep up with security related issues with the bundled infrastructure
components.

If you look at the midtier patches (historically) have you ever seen one
with patch files for the bundled Tomcat?  If you look at the release cycle
of Tomcat, how many times a year are security fixes released
(search the pages for CVE)?
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/changelog.html
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/changelog.html
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/changelog.html

Or for the short list:
http://tomcat.apache.org/security-7.html
http://tomcat.apache.org/security-6.html
http://tomcat.apache.org/security-5.html

This is just my opinion based on my observations of common practices of
software vendors en masse.  I'm sure there are software vendors that
maintain the full bundled application stack, but from my observations this
is the exception rather than the norm.

Just out of curiosity, can people post the version (major, minor) of Tomcat
bundled with the mid-tier, esp. those that used the patch installer to build
their mid-tier servers?

Axton Grams

The opinions, statements, and/or suggested courses of action expressed in
this E-mail do not necessarily reflect those of BMC Software, Inc.  My
voluntary participation in this forum is not intended to convey a role as a
spokesperson, liaison or public relations representative for BMC Software,
Inc.