From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of josepht
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:32 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Muliple layers of Row Level access using Dynamic groups

Currently we have similar workflow in place that does limit the tickets a
customer sees. Customers have a default view that forces them to use a table
with the status limitation hardcoded into it. And an Error message that
displays if they reach a ticket that is not closed and they managed to see
it somehow.

But some of the more resourceful users have been able to get around these
workflow limitations. These are normally the users who have been with us for
a while and are dead set on recreating what they used to be able to do
before we implemented row level access and started cracking down on
security. Granted it is a small portion of our users that are being a pain
at the moment, but they have demonstrated this security vulnerability that
needs to be resolved completely before someone with malicious intentions
discover it.

We are currently trying to track down how they got past our restriction so
we can fix the vulnerability. We hope as soon as we do that the problem will
be eliminated but knowing some of the more stubborn users they will likely
find another way.  Currently it seems like we are in a sinking ship trying
to patch leaks as they spring up.The best way I know of to lock them out
would be with the row level access permissions as they would not be able to
find a work around.

The other thing that has been a thorn in our sides is the macro and advanced
search bar tools which there seems to be no way of  permanently disabling or
resticting via permissions. Thankfully these are not an issue on the
Mid-tier, but our management won’t allow us to take away the User
application from those who have been abusing these tools. Right now, we have
hidden or disabled these tools by default, but there seems to be no way from
stopping a user from going to their view options and displaying the macro
bar or going to their user options and enabling the advanced search bar. We
can disable them again after they search with those tools, but not before
the search actually takes place as we cannot seem to trigger workflow based
on the users actions within that System menu and that System form.

Thanks for the quick reply and we will look at implementing some of the
options you suggested. Especially the computed group idea as that will help
make our workflow a bit more dynamic.