Depending on how you seek to integrate it can be easy or simple.  For example,
if you have an external API or web service that you need to integrate with, it
will be a little more challenging than having AIE read values from tables in
databases.

For client PCs, we have LANDesk and pulling in the discovery data from there is
pretty simple, with the only gotcha being that the data needs normalized before
you can really use it.  What I mean by that is that some applications (for
example, Winzip) show up with different manufacturers and different versions
that don't quite match.  The CMDB provides you with a means to do this, but I
did it via SQL so that people could use the data directly in LANDesk in
addition to Remedy.

On the server side, you care about completely different things, so it does make
sense to use a different discovery tool.  We already had one in house called
ECM.  I was able to pull data directly from the DB here as well, but it
required a little more work and a lot more conditions in my SQL to make sure
the data was clean.

I just completed the ADDM class last week, and we are looking to implement that
in the coming months.  It looks pretty cool and if it can do what BMC says, it
will help create a lot of the relationships in the CMDB, which is always the
greatest weakness of any discovery tool I've seen.  Finding what software is
installed on a server is pretty trivial.  Crawling web.xml files on a server to
look for database information then matching that discovered application with
its database and creating that relationship in the CMDB is a little more tricky.

Another thing to consider is that you need to clearly define the requirements.
BMC focuses extensively on the CMDB side in their marketing, but an important
thing to consider is the Asset Management side.  Yes, it's very useful to build
that web of relationships for support personnel, but it's also vital for you to
be able to tell what applications are installed on what machine, then tie that
back to a software contract to know whether you are in compliance or not and
even if you can stop paying maintenance on some applications and retire them.
I would argue that from a corporate standpoint, Asset Management is
tremendously more important than Configuration Management, so your best bet is
to focus on tools that help your organization be aware of their install base
and licensing.

Thanks,

Shawn Pierson
Remedy Developer | Southern Union