Hello,

Andrew: We're always happy to help BMC if they ask for our expert
advice. They haven't yet asked.

The "recommended" settings are too "round". Why 1024Mb and not 1112Mb?
The problem with this topic is that the "recommended" setting is going
to be different in almost every environment. ITSM consumes a lot of
memory but the recommended configuration depends entirely on usage.

Some people believe that if you throw more memory at something, it's
bound to get better: That's usually the wrong piece of advice in the
Java world.

The Java garbage collector was not designed to be run with Xms == Xms,
however, it may now be more forgiving of this option. And indeed, as
I've previously discussed on ARSlist, there are different types of
garbage collector.

The only bullet proof way of getting a reasonable set of memory
allocation variables is to experiment. Starting with 1Gb seems sensible,
but setting ms to 90% of mx is also sensible. If you are not using ITSM
and running your own custom application, 1Gb could be far more than you
need leading to noticable delays while the GC kicks in (it takes longer
for the GC to get rid of 800MB of waste than 400Mb, hence more is not
always good).

I'd suggest using a tool such as JConsole to monitor your JVM
performance: YOu can find a video on how to use JConsole here:

http://www.javasystemsolutions.com/jss/video/view/MidTier-JMX

John
--
Single Sign On for AR System