From: William Rentfrow <wrentf...@stratacominc.com>
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Sent: Thu, May 5, 2011 8:52:10 AM
Subject: Restrict dataset permissions

**
This is CMDB 7.6.03 –

Is there an easy way to restrict a staging dataset used to import/reconcile
data
to the BMC.Asset dataset so users do not see it?

We have discovered a number of instances where workflow will randomly grab the
“first matching” asset in BMC.CORE.ComputerSystem (and other classes) without
regard to evaluating which dataset it came from.

If we do this we still want the data available to all users when it goes to the
“gold” dataset.

We could just purge the data but purging out the staging data results in
problems later on.  For example, if we have an asset in the staging dataset it
gets a recon ID.  Apparently this recon ID is used to associate some things
(e.g., Business Services to assets) and purging the data and re-importing it
later breaks this.

William Rentfrow
Principal Consultant, StrataCom
www.stratacominc.com