Right now I am not looking at the Java API code, but this is what I think you
need to do...

You need to add two references not just one. One which is a placeholder to
indicate Actlinkguides are coming next, then the next actual reference with the
name of actlink guide. Thus to add 'n' number of alguides, you will first
insert one marker reference (ExternalReference instance with ref type value as
ReferenceType.PACKINGLIST_GUIDE) followed by 'n' number of Reference instances
for all actlinkguides. [So, n+1 references is what you need to add to the
reference list.

packingList.add(new ExternalReference(null, null,
ReferenceType.PACKINGLIST_GUIDE, null));
packingList.add(new Reference(label, null, ReferenceType.CONTAINER, name)); <==
one of label/name you need to fill with your alguide name. Need to check from
driver.
//... may be more alguides also added to the packing list here

Same model pretty much applies to other objects that you want to add to packing
list.

HTH
Appajee