> we have a portal application which uses a generic ID as we allow any user to
> come in and submit an inquiry via portal.

Having multiple people logging in under the same ID is not really the best
idea.  AR System does allow for guest users so that each submission could be
tracked by an actual username.

> Are you saying that we should use a totally isolated mid-tier for this other
> app?

That was more a question for you.  If you do not want any users who are
accessing server 1 to ever be able to access server 2 - and the authentication
for server 1 is completely separate from server 2, it sounds like you may want
to keep them more separated at the Mid-Tier level as well.

Others on the list may have additional ideas/comments on this.  It's not
sounding like a "best" configuration to me - but of course this is all based on
the limited information provided here.

-David J. Easter
Manager of Product Management, Remedy Platform
BMC Software, Inc.

The opinions, statements, and/or suggested courses of action expressed in this
E-mail do not necessarily reflect those of BMC Software, Inc.  My voluntary
participation in this forum is not intended to convey a role as a spokesperson,
liaison or public relations representative for BMC Software, Inc.