2 questions:

How many CPUs are allocated to the VM?
What version of VM software are you using?

Rick
On Jun 27, 2011 2:30 PM, "Reiser, John J" <john.j.rei...@lmco.com> wrote:
> Hello Listers,
> ARS 7.6.03
> MS 2003 Enterprise
> MS SQL 2005 (remote)
> Total home grown system. No OOTB modules.
>

> I have a real stumper here. It even has BMC scratching their heads.
> I have a production system that is experiencing cpu overload that runs up
to 99 in the processes and sits there.
> The ARSystem server is virtual machine. We thought maybe it was a MS
"Patch Tuesday" issue and we removed the 10 recent MS patches one at a time
and restarted the machine each time. The problem still exists after the
arserver service starts. Sometime immediately and sometimes it will sit for
1- 20 minutes before it starts to hog the CPUs.
> To eliminate any other OS and file system issues we grabbed a two week old
backup image of the server and restored it.
> The system came back ok for a short while and then started to lock up the
CPU again.
> Working with BMC I set the logs on and restarted. We saw the system jump
to 100% within a minute and captured a 10MB arsql.log file.
> It can force the overload at anytime by firing filter workflow with a
notification action in it.
> I disabled this one filter but the system still loaded up. I added a
Filter that ran a 0 and the only action was Goto 1000 to jump all Filter
actions that fired on the change of the Status field in question.
> Still no joy.
> I've disabled every piece of Notify workflow. That worked the best and
kept the system alive for longer stretches but we can't run a system that
way.

> I've come to the realization that there may be corrupted information in
the DB object tables and I wanted to get some feedback.
> Using rrrChive I can pull a copy of every form's data since, say, two
weeks ago. Then have the DBA restore the entire system from that date. After
the restore I would use rrrChive to reload the two weeks' data (Modified
date' > "06/11/2011") and hope for the best.

> Any workflow that was changed in the last two weeks is negligible and
could be recreated/updated as needed.

> Do you think this is a viable solution?
> When I asked the BMC tech if I could dump the T,H & B tables ; restore the
db and reload the T, H & B tables he reminded me that the arschema and other
meta tables would probably be out of synch.
> That's when I thought of using rrrChive.
>
> Sorry to be so long winded but I need to get this back online, BMC can't
find anything in the logs and I don't want to lose the tickets we've taken
in the last week.