My previous place of employment had similar protocols. To ensure quality, We had four environments: Development, which is the ONLY environment on which the Devs have admin rights. Test, which is in theory the Admin's olayground - a place to test patches, and so on, so that the Admin does not obstruct the DEVs work. Pre-Production, which was used for End-user accept testing before production.
and of course, Production.

Besides this, we used object reservation on all servers, with system forms locked by a per-server account, to prevent accidental modification (we had a strict policy of not altering system forms). The different tiers also means that basic things such as user privileges and server configuration changes are well described, since the Devs are forced to test on environments where they have no admin rights.

We had one further modification; all the Admin forms the Devs would need access to in order to troubleshoot were given an extra permission group, which the Devs would get on their PRod user.

Hope this is inspiration.

best regards,

Jonas Stevnsvig