Hi Bob,

Just wanted to suggest a tool that may help to see what is being done inside
the SSL.  You should be able to use Burp Proxy (
http://portswigger.net/burp/proxy.html) in between the two servers to get a
view into the SSL tunnel.  Granted it may introduce new issues but thought I
would throw it out there.

Jason