this is a Known issue.

here what i found

I verified that disabling the filter:

User Password Change:ErrorOnConfirmPreviousPassword

Allows the password to be changed Successfully using the midtier.

If the current password is incorrectly entered into the User Password
Change form, the active link User Password
Change:ErrorOnConfirmPreviousPassword  catches this and displays the
same error: [49003] Old password incorrect. Please try again.

So there is no reason no to disable the filter since the active link
performs the same check:

User Password Change:ErrorOnConfirmPreviousPassword

hope that helps.. it works for me.