This is all great information thank you very much.  I am working with the
server admins now to see what is going on.  I have it configured right but I
am getting these errors.

javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host:
smtp.gmail.com, port: 587;
  nested exception is:
 at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.openServer(SMTPTransport.java:1282)
 at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.protocolConnect(SMTPTransport.java:370)
 at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:275)
 at
com.bmc.arsys.emaildaemon.MBConnection.openTransport(MBConnection.java:243)
 at com.bmc.arsys.emaildaemon.MBConnection.<init>(MBConnection.java:69)
 at
com.bmc.arsys.emaildaemon.MBConnectionPool.createPool(MBConnectionPool.java:158)
 at
com.bmc.arsys.emaildaemon.MBConnectionPool.createPool(MBConnectionPool.java:73)
 at
com.bmc.arsys.emaildaemon.MBConnectionPool.<init>(MBConnectionPool.java:36)
 at
com.bmc.arsys.emaildaemon.MBConnectionPool.getInstance(MBConnectionPool.java:52)
 at com.bmc.arsys.emaildaemon.EmailDaemon.startSystem(EmailDaemon.java:798)
 at com.bmc.arsys.emaildaemon.MonitorModule.doWork(MonitorModule.java:199)
 at com.bmc.arsys.emaildaemon.ThreadBase.run(ThreadBase.java:302)
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
 at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
 at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.BaseSSLSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
 at com.sun.mail.util.SocketFetcher.createSocket(SocketFetcher.java:232)
 at com.sun.mail.util.SocketFetcher.getSocket(SocketFetcher.java:163)
 at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.openServer(SMTPTransport.java:1250)