From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Leihkauff, Kenneth G
Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 11:24 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: ARS 7.1 Upgrade to 7.6.04 SP1 - Installer ORA ERRORS

**
Hello,

Has anyone experienced similar problems when upgrading from 7.1 to 7.6 ARS?
I've submitted a ticket to BMC but they have not indicated this is a known
problem.

More specifically, I'm upgrading 7.1 patch 6 ARS to 7.6.04 SP1 ARS.  This is
Solaris 10, Oracle 11g.  The installer completes as "failed" with the following
errors (see below).  We manually fixed the first error at the Oracle level and
then re-ran the installer, but keep getting the same type of errors but on
different AR data dictionary tables/columns.  Each time one of the columns is
fixed and the installer is re-run, it appears to advance and find yet another
of the same type of problems.  The ORA-01439 error suggests that it wants to
change the data type.  For example, in the last error below, the 7.1 data
dictionary documentations shows this column to be an integer, and the 7.6
installer wants to change it to a number(15).  But, because there is data in
the column, it fails.  The installer does not appear to have been written to
handle this.  I would expect lots of people would be getting this error for
upgrading 7.1 to 7.6, and BMC would need to fix the installer.  Thoughts,
insight?  Thank you!

(Note: this is only an ARS upgrade -- Not ITSM/CMDB.)

Errors: ORA-01440 & ORA-01439:
---------------------------------

  LOG EVENT {Description=[[SQLERROR] [DESCRIPTION] Failed to upgrade the
database schema],Detail=[[SQLERRORCODE]=0 [SQLMESSAGE]=Failed to run SQL
statement [ALTER TABLE FIELD_ENUM MODIFY ( ENUMSTYLE NUMBER(15) )] Due to
[ORA-01440: column to be modified must be empty to decrease precision or scale

  LOG EVENT {Description=[[SQLERROR] [DESCRIPTION] Failed to upgrade the
database schema],Detail=[[SQLERRORCODE]=0 [SQLMESSAGE]=Failed to run SQL
statement [ALTER TABLE FILTER_NOTIFY MODIFY ( BEHAVIOR NUMBER(15) )] Due to
[ORA-01440: column to be modified must be empty to decrease precision or scale

  LOG EVENT {Description=[[SQLERROR] [DESCRIPTION] Failed to upgrade the
database schema],Detail=[[SQLERRORCODE]=0 [SQLMESSAGE]=Failed to run SQL
statement [ALTER TABLE SCHEMA_ARCHIVE MODIFY ( ARCHIVEFROMFORM NUMBER(15) )]
Due to [ORA-01439: column to be modified must be empty to change datatype

Ken Leihkauff