From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Alejandro Canon
Sent: 19 October 2011 20:19
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Relating Companies to CI's - Company Level

**

Hi Listers

ARS 7.6.04

CMDB 7.6.04

ITSM 7.6.04

I´m trying to relate some Business Service CI's to Customer Companies, but
it can be done just for Companies with Organization or Departments. When
opening CTM:People Organization (Dialog View) from People tab in Asset
Record, just allows to relate with companies with Organization or Department
configured.

We haven't uploaded Customer Organizations/Departments because is not needed
and not required for Customer Companies.

We found some KB Article (KA319852) which refers to that scenario:

Problem:

BMC Remedy Service Desk Incident Management 7.6, Chapter 9 Managing
configuration items page: 155 to 156 it is possible to relate Companies to
Business Services.

1- Open the People tab and click Add.

2- From the Type list in the CI Person Type, select People Organization and
then click OK.

3- From the Company list in the Organization Search window, select the
company to which you are relating the service and then click Search.

4- From the Choose a Relationship Level list, select how much of the company
will be related to this service.

5- Click Select.

6- From the Role list in the Asset Person Role window, select Used By and
click OK.

7- Click OK to dismiss the confirmation note.

8- Click Save and then click Close

.

Solution

The company could not be related to the CI because no Organizations,
Locations or Support Groups had been configured for the Company. This is a
prerequisite for the ITSM application as described in BMC Remedy IT Service
Management 7.6.00 Configuration Guide, Chapter 3, Standard configuration
tasks

This chapter provides standard configuration information and contains the
procedures required to get your system operational.

The following topics are provided:

Configuring companies (page 44)

Creating organizations (page 44)

Creating locations (page 45)

Creating support groups (page 46)

Adding people information (page 48)

Creating product categories (optional) (page 57)

Creating operational categories (optional) (page 58)

Creating assignment routing in a standard configuration (optional) (page 59)

Viewing and modifying standard configuration data (page 60)

As far as I know, configuring Organization and Departments is not required
for setting a company. It gives you a better perspective of your company
structure and allows you to specify criteria for SLM and Reporting, but
sometimes you don't know (and don't need to know) customer organizations.

KB article recommends to keep related Organizations, Locations OR Support
Groups to companies in order to creating CI's relationships successfully.

We have a Global Location (Datacenter) related to all of our customers but
even with that setting it doesn't allow us to relate CI's with Customer
Organizations.

Any ideas, suggestions, comments?

Regards,

Alejandro