** Patchsk,

Take a look at  http://webserver:port/arsys/samples/StatusCheck.jsp.

StatusCheck.jsp actually does exercise the web server, the AR server and the database. You can see the SELECT sent to the database by the MidTier user in your arsql.log, which means that all the components above that are working.  This script appears to have been designed just for this purpose.  We don't use it on the load balancer, but we do run it once a minute from a cron task and send some alarms if it fails.

Might be just what you need...

Doug