From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of patchsk
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2011 12:49 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: how to configure some users to use a private port in the web version

** With thick client we can add a RPC program in the login screen to have
certain users to use a specific private port.
With user tool about to be decommissioned did any one figured out how to
achieve this with midtier?
Seems like a very useful option is missing in the web or  at least not as
flexible as it is with the user tool

Some of  our support groups in our company have large list of tickets like 1400
tickets displaying in their overview console.
We would like them to use a private port instead of impacting regular users.

I hope to find some kind of setting in user preferences but I did not see
anything where I can specify a RPC port number.

So far our options are:
1. Have them use user tool till it gets unusable.
2. Install a separate midtier and configure with a private RPC and have these
users login with that midtier.
    Seems possible but difficult to get approval for another piece of hardware,
also extra maintenance.
3. Split that support group to several subgroups or change their home page to
use Incident or Change console instead of overview console.
4. Beefup the hardware and increase the number of fast/list threads.

Private and confidential as detailed here:
http://www.sug.com/disclaimers/default.htm#Mail . If you cannot access the
link, please e-mail sender.