From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of L G Robinson
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2011 19:37
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: ARS 7.6.03 performance problems

Hi Folks,

I am experiencing a performance problem on my 7.6.03 AR System. The problem
gets worse over time. When the server is started, performance is fine. For
example, it takes about one second to load a particular record in the Windows
client and about two seconds to load the same record in the Mid Tier. However,
if I load the same record later in the day, maybe after the server has been
running for 12 hours, the time to load the same record is about twice as long.

If I restart the server process, response time returns to the original timings.
This behavior is consistent whether the system is heavily loaded or lightly
loaded, but the degradation seems to happen faster if the system is heavily
loaded

The arserverd is running on a Sun SPARC-Enterprise-T5120 with 16 Gb of RAM. I
have tried a variety of queue/thread configurations from minimal to way
over-allocated. I have used Misi's fabulous RRR|Log tool and I see that there
is absolutely no thread contention at all.
When the system is running, top shows:

90 processes:  86 sleeping, 3 stopped, 1 on cpu CPU states:  100% idle,  0.0%
user,  0.0% kernel,  0.0% iowait,  0.0% swap
Memory: 16G real, 12G free, 509M swap in use, 11G swap free

So it appears that I have plenty of hardware.

I am pretty sure that it is not a database problem because I have analysed the
SQL logs and the transaction times are consistent. The additional time between
the short times and the long times appears to all be within the API time. That
is to say, the time from beginning to end for any particular API call seems to
increase while the embedded SQL transactions within the API calls stay
relatively constant.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to look for? Thanks for any insights.
Larry

ARS 7.6.03
Mid-tier 7.6.04
Solaris 10