Both LDAP servers (on two different, untrusted domains) are authenticating
just fine now!

So in addition to everything else, the *one* thing that I did not initially
try, seemed to do the trick:

-Save a backup copy of the ar.cfg file (just in case).
-Remove all references to AREA from the ar.cfg file.
-Restart the ARSystem service -or- kill the plugin server process to
re-read the altered config
-Re-add the known-good information to the AREA config *form* which will
re-write the needed entries in the ar.cfg file.
-Restart the ARSystem service -or- kill the plugin server process to
re-read the altered config

I think it is important to note (and this was the part the docs didn't
clearly define and which confused me) that when allowed to add the values
for the AREA-Hub-Plugin: line, the system added two identical lines like so:

AREA-Hub-Plugin: "D:\Program Files\BMC Software\ARSystem\arealdap\
arealdap.dll"
AREA-Hub-Plugin: "D:\Program Files\BMC Software\ARSystem\arealdap\
arealdap.dll"

And not to overstate the obvious, but just so the info is out there...

On the "Server Information" EA config tab, I have:
-Set the EA RPC number to 390695
-Set "Cross Reference Blank Password" checked.
-Set "Authentication Chaining Mode" to "Off".

On the AREA Config form, the items of note are:
-The remote domain LDAP server is entered by IP Address (DNS on that domain
is not available)
-The bind user for both LDAP servers needed to be entered in the form of
domain\username (MS Active Directory LDAP)
-User Base is set to $\AUTHSTRING$ (the keyword for  field ID 118 on the
USER form)
-User Search Filter is set to sAMAccountName=$\USER$ (the keyword for
 field ID 117 on the USER form)

On the User form the items of note are:
- Set the password to $NULL$ for the users to be externally authenticated.
- Field id 101 is the regular login name field on the user form and is used
to uniquely identify the user for the Remedy system, ie - how the user's
name will appear in the "Submitted by" field on a record. I used the format
of domain\username.
- Added the special fields (field ID 117 and field id 118) (see BMC suport
knowldedge article #KA288124)
- Field id 117 is the network login name of the user that matches the
sAMAccountName on the respective LDAP server.
- Field id 118 is set to the parent LDAP container of the user. So, for
example if my LDAP user's *full* DN is:
cn=myUserName,OU=myDept,OU=myOrg,DC=MyDomain,DC=com
Then the parent container would be:
OU=myDept,OU=myOrg,DC=MyDomain,DC=com

I think that about covers it!
Thanks again and everyone have a happy, prosperous, peaceful New Year!!

JDHood