You could always export by object type and just append to the same def file.
(All Forms, then all Active Links, ...)

Fred

From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Jason Miller
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 6:19 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Exporting a full server def file using Dev Studio

** Here is an update (just to complete the loop) on a topic as old as Dev
Studio...  I had given up exporting full server def files after moving to AR
7.5 (ARInside and Object Modification defs provided backup/restore/historical
reference comfort).  For fun I tried again yesterday on our very custom AR 7.5
server with Help Desk 6 and a bunch of homegrown apps (25,513 objects).  I was
able to export a full def finally!  The setup used is Dev Studio 7.6.04 SP2 on
a Windows 7 Pro PC with 16gb of RAM, 4gb of which are given to DS in the
devstudio.ini file.

Since we are moving away from much of our homegrown apps, transitioning to the
full ITSM suite and I was feeling a bit froggy I tried our ITSM 7.6.04 SP2
environment this morning (74,599 objects).  I am sad to report it failed with
the following error: Failed to export to the file. ERROR (91): RPC call failed;
Connection reset by peer: socket write error,  5190,

I think current day with an ITSM 7.6.x server there is probably little value in
pulling a full def file though.  My reasoning for wanting a full server def has
always been because the system was highly customize and largely homegrown;
building a fresh server and installing ITSM would provide only a small piece of
the environment.  Now with overlays, exporting only overlaid objects would
probably be sufficient to re-customize and restore homegrown objects from a
fresh install using the SSI (of course this isn't a replacement for db
backups).  If you are a custom only shop then a full server export is possible
(figuring you don't have nearly as many objects as a full ITSM install).

Jason