armonitor.log and arerror.log will tell you when something is wrong.
The others (sql, api, filter, user, plugin, escalation, etc.) will
tell you what went wrong.  There are many logs.  The java plugin
servers each generate a main log file; the cmdb plugins for the java
plugin server (e.g., NE) each generate separate logs.  Then there is
the email engine, flashboards daemon, etc.

My suggestion is to turn them all on so that when an issue does occur
(and they will), you have what you need to diagnose and correct the
issue.

Axton Grams