ok, this I know..
if you are logging in as the same person installing it.. it should display
back, however if you are installing as root, after logging in, you need to
set the enviorment to ensure it knows where to go..

So ..
Login as joesmith (sorry joe, to use your name again)
env |grep -i display
>> DISPLAY=localhost:10.0
su - >> to get to root
export DISPLAY=localhost:10.0
export HOME=~joesmith

run command..

Now you have to make sure your application is allowing X to come back to
the desktop and is authorized to display back..

Hope that helps..

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Pruitt, Christopher (Bank of America
Account) <christopher.pru...@hp.com> wrote:

> I am at a loss here and was hoping someone on the list has encountered
> this issue.
>
> I am trying to do a AR Server upgrade on a SUN UNIX server. I can start an
> xterm session using the Reflection X Manager and do an export DISPLAY=IP
> Address and start the AR Server 7.6.03 installer and it will bring up the
> installer on my desktop display. This works great when I am directly logged
> onto my desktop.
>
> However, the issue I am having is when I am using Remove Desktop
> Connection (RDC) connected remotely to my desktop and perform that same
> steps to export the DISPLAY to my IP Address of my desktop it will not
> display the AR Server 7.6.03 installer. Is there some setting or trick I am
> missing to let me see the AR Server 7.6.03 installer when I am using RDC
> into my desktop? I have gone through all the settings on the Reflection X
> Manager and nothing is obvious that I need to set to make the AR Server
> 7.6.03 installer display when using RDC.
>
> Reflection X Manager version 14.1.0
> AR Server 7.6.04 patch 3 Installer
> SUN OS 5.9
>

> Christopher Pruitt
> Business Consulting III
> HP Enterprises Services
> christopher.pru...@hp.com
> www.hp.com
>

> Confidentiality Notice: This message and any files transmitted with it are
> intended for the sole use of the entity or individual to whom it is
> addressed, and may contain information that is confidential, privileged,
> and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the
> intended addressee for this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any
> copying, distribution, or dissemination of this e-mail is strictly
> prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately
> destroy, erase, or discard this message. Please notify the sender
> immediately by return e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake.

Patrick Zandi