I can say that it will work and is very useful. Infact I would say it would
be a best practice if the company can afford one more extra server. We have
been using this feature since over an year.
We have  total 3 ARS servers with servergroup but only two servers are
facing end users via loadbalanced VIP. The third box is a virtual server
and we use it specifically for admin and back end processes like
approval,escalation,reconciliation, reports, email, aie etc. In the user
facing servers we set the record limit to 1000 and if any one wants to
query more than 1000 they can use the backend server.
It would avoid lot of headaches related to performance and also comes very
handy during code deployments. For any OS patches we have the patches
deployed first in the backend server and then we will do it on front end
servers.