From: David Durling
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2012 4:58 PM Newsgroups: public.remedy.arsystem.general
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Production changes (spin-off of RE: Effects of flushing midtier cache)

Joe brought up an issue I already had questions relating to, being: what workflow IS okay to change on a production AR server during production hours?

For instance, if I have an app on a production box that is being tested by users and is not itself "production", am I endangering other things on production by making changes to it during production hours? (Besides flushing the mid tier cache, that is.)

Or do people have categories of changes - like rewording text in an email filter or on a form, or adding an item to a character menu - that they consider have an acceptable level of risk to do during normal hours? Or is it standard to just not touch anything with Developer Studio unless it's an emergency or a change window?

Related question: Are updating groups or using the Data Import tool (on a reasonable, limited basis) considered normal production procedures?

Thanks for any insights on this,

David

David Durling
University of Georgia