From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Joe Martin D'Souza
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2012 12:06 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Storing and using passwords (not Remedy User password) through
workflow....

**

I’m wondering if any of you had done this and what solution you used..

The requirement is simple.. I am using a WSDL that needs to be authenticated
using a username and a password. I do not like the idea of hardcoding this into
my filters for various reasons, the biggest being that if these credentials
were changed, I would need to change all the workflow that has WSDL set fields
action causing major caching.. Also it’s a bad design to do something like
that.. The other reason is our Remedy admins would not need to worry about
maintaining the WSDL password changes which would be set in that configuration
form by the WSDL administrators when they change that password and these
administrators on our site are not Remedy administrators...

So was designing a concept of a ‘web service integration configuration form’
that stores this information. The form currently has these fields:-

Field 1: Web Service server name
Field 2: Port
Field 3: Context Path
Field 4: Based on the above generates URI
Field 5: Based on the above generates EndPoint
Field 6: Authentication User
Field 7: Password

Method 1 (which failed – as I expected it to)
I used the reserved field ID 102 for a password. However when this is used in a
set field operation in a Filter to call the web service, the authentication
fails because the password used is still encrypted. (If this had worked, I may
have actually raised it as a bug or security threat lol)

Method 2 (work in progress which should work)
I intend to use a generic field ID with an edit mask on its display type, and
use the ENCRYPT and DECRYPT functions in a filter to encrypt the contents of
that field. So I would create a new Field 8: Encryption Key, that allows the
WSDL admins to set an encryption key, so that their passwords will be encrypted
and stored in the database. So the form would now have the following fields:-

Field 1: Web Service server name
Field 2: Port
Field 3: Context Path
Field 4: Based on the above generates URI
Field 5: Based on the above generates EndPoint
Field 6: Authentication User
Field 7: Password
Field 8: Encryption Key

To make it fancy I could mask both and encrypt both the user name as well as
password so we as AR Admins would not even know the user they are using for the
authentication (unless we see the plugin logs :-) ).. But for the moment I’ll
leave the username as clear text, as I don’t see the point of masking and
encrypting both..

This (encrypting the password or both username and password and decrypting them
for use) should work as it’s a fairly simple process.. While it does look
secure, it is ultimately possible to get the user and password they are using
from the plugin logs. But at least not directly so there is a certain amount of
security..

What methods do you’ll use in case you’ll had similar needs? Any better methods
or practices?

Joe