Hey Joe -
How have things been since Nomura - if you remember me from that project and
you are in fact the same Joe De'Souza.
To move along, encryption algorithms vary.  If I am not mistaken Remedy ARS
uses DES block-cipher encryption in the ENCRYPT function.    DES in and of
itself is symmetric from an algorithm standpoint. It uses one 64-bit key to
encrypt a block of plaintext that is 64-bits into ciphered text.  It has one
parity bit for each byte of the provided key which generates a key strength
which is only 56-bits.

  Per BMC Documentation:
"The output is limited to the size of the field used for output, including the
base-64 encoding.Therefore, you are limited to encrypting a string that is 3/4
the size of the output field."
Using the passphrase method as a way to generate the encrypted text is achieved
using, most probably, a key derivation and salt combination.
In order to decrypt ciphered text you would need to "code" an external DES
ciphering utility in your language of choice that would encrypt the plain text
based on the key provided or decrypt the ciphered text using the key provided.
As long as you have the key you can go back and forth with the
encryption/decryption.
By the way, why do you need to know the length of the output string?  I am
assuming when you say length you mean character count or something similar.
Mike