Hello all,

I am looking for some experience/advice:  We are looking at modeling our
computer centers in Atrium CMDB 2.1 (w/ ARS & ITSM 7.6.4), including the racks
and enclosures.  I am looking at several concepts right now to model this data
and would be interested in any strategies others have found to be useful in
their environments.  What I am looking to determine now is not only how to
model the data itself, but what processes will be automatically provided, and
what processes I will have to customize/create in order to help Infrastructure
do their job.

Here's what I am thinking of right now (in broad terms):

1.       Extend the BMC_Equipment class to create PQ_Rack and PQ_Enclosure
classes, perhaps with AU (slot) classes as well.

2.       Utilize BMC_PhysicalLocation to represent object locations (Rack 3-5,
AU slot 2) and use custom reports to track overall locations.

3.       Extend the current BMC_Rack and BMC_Chassis to add necessary
attributes.

4.       Federate the location (rack, enclosure) data into a custom Nlyte-like
application.

If there is a way to utilize the Common Data Model without customization, that
would be my preference.  Note that the Racks and Enclosures do not simply hold
blades, they also hold network modules/patch panels, SANs, power, etc; each of
these may also take up more than one slot per.

By processes, I mean that Infrastructure will want to be able to quickly tell
from an asset name, where it is precisely (site, grid location, rack and
enclosure slot).  Or, given a two slot asset, where they can plug it in
(display the racks where two consecutive slots are available, or at least show
the open slots in a fashion that it is easy to see where two consecutive ones
are).

For example, if I follow strategy 1. and create PQ_Rack and PQ_Enclosure
classes, let's say I create AU (slot) classes as well, with component
relationships to the racks and enclosures.  It seems like this would allow me
to define the number of AUs by creating only those CIs (If a rack has 20 slots,
I create 20 AU CIs).  This would also let me indicate when a slot is
unavailable (because cords it is used for cord management, for example) by
setting that AU CI's status.  Each thing put into a slot would be connected to
it using a location relationship.  This seems to be the cleanest and most
Object Oriented of the set, and if I understand the system correctly, I could
only allow 1:1 relationships between the slot and the slotted asset, which
would prevent any mistakes.  There is concern however that this would involved
too much extra work.

Again, if anyone has tried modeling racks and enclosures in this kind of detail
or done some investigation on doing it I would appreciate your experience and
advice on the subject.

Thank you in advance,

Kelly Logan, Sr. Systems Administrator (Remedy, Planview), GMS
ProQuest | 789 E. Eisenhower Parkway, P.O. Box 1346 | Ann Arbor MI 48106-1346
USA | 734.997.4777
kelly.lo...@proquest.com<mailto:kelly.lo...@proquest.com>
www.proquest.com

ProQuest...Start here. 2010 InformationWeek 500 Top Innovator

you have received this email in error please notify the sender, and delete the
message from your computer.