Hi Folks,

Me again... still struggling with this Mid-tier performance issue. ColumnIT
(our support provider) has escalated the issue to BMC and I would
appreciate a "second opinion" on the information I have received from BMC
back line engineering support. I would like to know if you believe the
explanation provided makes sense from a technical standpoint. I consider
many of you to be quite knowledgable about the inner working of the AR
System and it's interactions with the underlying DB, much more so than
myself.

Background:

BMC says that the performance issue is the result of poor SQL initiated by
workflow that we have created. Specifically, they contend that there are
SQL calls that are resulting in table scans of the table in question. I
disagree because my log analysis (thanks Misi) does not show any such SQL.
But that is not the part I want your opinion about. This is their
explanation:

==> We have verified the SQL statements and SQL queries from X-calls form
are using Like operator which causes oracle to go for a full table scan
instead of using indexes which introduces delays.

Given their explanation, I asked the following followup question:

- If the performance problem is the result of "SQL queries which are
getting fired on that form are taking too long and not using indexes which
is resulting in delays and performance issues", why is it that the problem
is not apparent after the AR system is started and only appears after the
system has been up and running for a period of time? My expectation would
be that performance issues that were the result of inefficient SQL would be
apparent all of the time. Please explain how the inefficient SQL results in
a gradual degradation in performance over time.

This is the BMC response. Does this make sense to you?

==> After the AR server is restarted data caching is done while AR server
is restarted which takes less time however when data increases in the form
over time so resource requirements will also increase as well as queries
will change based on the amount data fetched and what parameters are being
passed and any limitations we have implemented for fetching number of
records.

This does not strike me as the type of response one would expect from back
line engineering staff.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Larry