From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Mark Lyndle Johnson
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 12:46 PM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Using ITSM Support Groups with AR System Roles

My organization has been running Remedy AR Server for a very long time
solely using custom in-house built forms and applications.  We're
transitioning to ITSM for our main ticketing forms and keeping some of our
self-built custom forms.  I set up a 7.6.04 SP 2 ITSM server and have
migrated our custom applications over (these were mostly built in a AR
System 7.1 environment), and I'm having trouble using the ITSM Support
Groups to grant rights to our custom apps.

In the ITSM People form, if I make a user a member of a Support Group, then
if I open that same user's entry in the AR System User form, I see that they
have a number listed in their Group List field.  If I then go to the AR
System Group form and search for a group with a Group Name matching that
number, I come across an entry where the Long Group Name field states that
it is for the Support Group I just made the user a member of.  Then I go to
the AR System Roles form, and I see that the Test and Production drop down
menus that list AR System groups also contain all of these Group form group
name numbers that related to all of our ITSM Support Groups.

The problem is that if I select one of these number groups, none of the
users in the corresponding ITSM Support Groups are picking up the rights
that that role is supposed to grant to them.  I double checked that the AR
System Application that the role pertains to is in either a Testing or
Production state.  I dont' understand how to use these numbered groups to
allow us to grant Role permissions to ITSM Support Group members.  Does
anybody have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Mark