We are updating an identity management system (OIM) using its SPML based WSDL.

During the operations to suspend or resume a user the output status of this
operation seems to always be ‘pending’ – which in reality is really an
intermediate status before ‘success’ or ‘failure’. The lifespan of this
intermediate status is just a brief fraction of a second before the update
either succeeds or fails..

>From the service consumption point of view, this intermediate status of
>‘pending’ is not quite meaningful other than the the fact that the WSDL call
>was successful. Given a choice I would have rather had the option to wait for
>those few micro seconds, at what point the status of either ‘success’..

They have a operation in the same web service to query the status. Following
the update WSDL with a query WSDL is what I thought would be my answer to
getting the new status (although I do not like the option of have another WSDL
call when there could have been one)... This query however returns the status
of the the user pre update. Filters as we know have no ‘SLEEP’ type action,
else I could have used that to pause the filter operations in between the
update and query operation.

Ideally it would have been perfect if there was an ability to introduce a pause
between the two WSDL calls.

Is there any ‘creative’ way of inserting a pause in a filter operation that
maybe I do not know of?

Joe