There was a similar issue when you searched by customer. BMC deemed that a
bug and provided a fix for it. The defect for that issue was SW00412940.
There may be a similar fix for your issue.

The gist of it was, the customer field gave varying results depending on if
you entered the name (based on how you have your customer lookup configured)
and pressed return or if you just entered the name and didn't press enter.
Pressing return populated hidden fields with data that may or may not be
relevant for the particular search you are performing. For example, the
customer changed locations. You don't care that they moved from site a to
site b (which was part of the data being populated). You just want to see
that customer's tickets. In our case, it was as Shawn describes. We were
searching a mix of tickets that were created new in 7.6.04 and some that
were migrated in from 5.5.

In your case, selecting from the menu, is probably doing a similar data call
and set. Again, as Shawn pointed out, depending on where and how the ticket
was created, the data being called might be different.

BTW, we're on 7.6.04 SP2 and I do not have the issue you describe. Are you
up to SP2?

Tim