From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Sanford, Claire
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 11:56 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: OT: ARSLIST Signal-to-noise ratio - Ranting!

Jose said:
“And finally, I don't see the relationship between forums and blogs & twitter.”

<Begin|Rant>

Claire says "I don’t see the relationship between the ARSList and Forums, blogs
and Twitter. "

But you do feel the need to include the entire thread you replied to including
your graphics - sometimes several times!

I’ve been out of the office.  Enjoying my first block of days off since getting
things ready for the go-live of ITSM 7.6.04, so I have been quiet on these
things for a while.

I used to send out the FAQ, then Dan started sending out something to people as
they joined the list, so I stopped.

The thing that bothers me most is screen shots and all the little icons that
people include in the email. The worst are the animated .sig files!  Outlook
provides you the opportunity to decide what type of text you want to use when
sending an email.  I prefer to use plain text when sending an email to the list
unless I need to highlight something specific.  A plain text email or one
without a lot of attachments is about 8 to 15 kb.  All those silly icons and
screen shots add up.  I have had to delete threads because they have grown to
larger proportions than I can save on the drive I save these things to.

I don’t need to or want to contact most of the people on this professional list
via facebook or twitter. Neither of them are professional forums.  I do
communicate with a few people, strictly socially via G+.  For the most part if
I have not met someone in person or have not communicated with them extensively
over the years,  I don't do the LinkedIn thing with them.   Blogs in some cases
are like vanity license plates.

This is a professional list, why not stick to professional forums.  If you want
someone to connect with you via “Social Media”, send them a private email.
I’ve been on this list since 1998 and this comes up at least a couple of times
a year!

Social Media is not necessarily a good thing!

<End|Rant>