LJ,

Yeah, but sometimes we think ahead....

We do know that the traffic arriving is from a browser interaction or from a web
service.  So, we set the client type differently so that you can know which it
is.

This is just like we set the client type of the Web Reporting (at least we are
supposed to be setting it) to 6 (may be tagged in the ar.h file as
CLIENT_TYPE_ODBC)
instead of 9 (for mid-tier).  This way, you can tell that the interaction is
for the web reporting engine rather than for the mid-tier interaction in
general.

So, there are three different client types that all come from the "mid-tier"
  -- mid-tier interactive use -- 9
  -- web reporting -- 6
  -- web services -- 8

This allows you to know to a finer level of detail what subsystem of the
mid-tier
is causing the interaction and there is value in differentiating these three
aspects.

Doug Mueller