As an OGH developer, I've seen specs range from 'gimme something that works'
to docs the size of phonebooks.  No matter how they're presented, specs are
only the starting point for understanding what needs to be built. Screen
shots are as good a starting point as anything else: they show how the user
understands their process. However it starts, by the end of a design phase,
the list of requirements should be understood by everyone involved.

I am NOT a Scrum Master (I only sound like one in meetings), but I have been
on Agile teams in several client organizations. When it works, which has
been most places, it works well for ARS teams.

Agile takes the app dev cycle from years to days; you don't get as much done
in a cycle, but you get more of them.  It also helps larger projects with
armies of developers.

A few screen shots can become prototype forms very quickly.

Reviewing prototype forms opens the discussion for workflow requirements.

Several short cycles later, the prototype proves all the concepts and has
identified 'real' specs.

The end result will certainly be different than the original screen shots:
it will have workflow!

HTH,

Joel

Joel Sender    jdsen...@earthlink.net    310.829.5552