I currently have a great problem with this same situation.

And the solution the curstomer is requiring to me is very complex:

 - The pending status must send a notification to key users.
 - If those key users have 4 hours to review the case, and if not correct
they can deny the pending status. That means that the incident returns to
assigned state and the time spent at pending is considered for the SVT
measurement.
 - If pending status goes more than 4 hores and a key user says it's not
correct, the SVT measurement only considers 4 hours and the rest is not
considered for the measurement.
 - If pending status is accepted or the key users don't say anything, the
time of pending is not considered.

I saw a lot of customization and we are discussing with the customer an
alternative method.

Currently the most probable solution is to include in the SLA (the
document, not the Remedy request) a penalty for abusing of the pending
status. If pending status is used for other situations not expressed on the
agreement, an extra penalty can be applied.

At the end it's all about a problem of trusting. So if you can restore the
confidence, you solve the problem. The new penalty at the SLA seems that
will be the tool to restore the confidence.

Saludos,

Jose Manuel Huerta
http://theremedyforit.com/