First a bit of trivia: The first post to the ARS List was by me on Tues.
November 2nd, 1993

Topic: Hey, there are 27 of you out there, how come no one posts? It was my
Welcome to all to the ARS List

[too few posts has not been an issue ever since]

Apparently I wrote this back in 2008, I think much of this was borrowed from
somewhere but I can't remember where.

Not sure the last time I posted it was, and of particular interest is the
last paragraph about Identify Yourself:

Social conventions (netiquette)

Like so many other things, network users tend to expend a great deal of
virtual gunpowder about the subject of etiquette on the network (otherwise
known as netiquette).

Part of the culture of the network is built on the fact that an individual
user can put forward any face he or she cares to present. Thus over time,
the

network has evolved various sets of rules that attempt to govern conduct. To
avoid taking up a great deal of space arguing the merits of differing
systems of

netiquette, the following general pointers that should be accepted by most
users are offered for the convenience of the list owner.

Recognize and Accept Cultural and Linguistic Differences

The Internet is international, and while English is generally accepted as
the common language of the network, list owners and list subscribers cannot
afford to take the position that everyone on the Internet understands
English well. In a medium that is invariably connected to language, special
understanding is required to deal with questions or statements from people
for whom English is not the primary tongue. Often today (at least in the US)
a person's first sustained interaction with others on an international basis
is via the Internet. It is imperative that this interaction be on the
highest level of cordiality and respect from the outset in order for all
concerned to benefit.

Additionally, care should be taken when using local idiom and slang. A
common word or phrase used by Americans in everyday speech, for instance,
might be taken as profanity or insult by those in other English-speaking
countries, and may not be understood at all by non-native speakers of
English. When a list has a high international readership, it is probably
best to avoid non-standard English so as to provide the clearest and
least-objectionable exchange of ideas.

Private Mail Should Dictate Private Responses

If someone on a mailing list has sent a private message to you (i.e., not to
the list at large) and you have lost that person's address but want to
respond, do not post private mail to the list. The REVIEW command will give
you a copy of the list membership that you can search for the person's
address. If this approach does not work, contact the local postmaster or the
list owner for help.

Flaming is (Usually) Inappropriate

There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Flames (insults) belong in private mail, if they belong in mail at all.
Discussions will often result in disagreements. Rebuttals to another
person's opinions or beliefs should always be made in a rational, logical
and mature manner, whether they are made publicly or privately. What is a
flame can range from the obvious (ranting and raving, abusive comments,
etc.) to the not-so-obvious (comments about how many "newbies" seem to be on
the list these days, "RTFM!" exhortations, etc.).

Foul Language

Subscribers should refrain from abusive or derogatory language that might be
considered questionable by even the most liberal and open-minded of
networkers. If you wouldn't say it in front of your mother, don't say it in
electronic mail.

Unsolicited Advertising and Chain Letters

Most of these are contrary to appropriate use policies governing the use of
the poster's Internet access provider. Not only that, they are annoying and
(in the case of chain letters) often illegal.

Identify Yourself

It is common courtesy, and on the ARSlist a requirement, to identify
yourself. If you are posting about a competitor, it is at the very least
unethical not to mention who you are.

In special circumstances, where it is in the best interest of the ARSlist, a
blind posting will be authorized, but it must be agreed to by the list
owner(s) first: daniel.bl...@danielbloom.ca An example is a BMC Remedy Corp.
employee who wants to unofficially inform the list.

HTH Daniel

Founder of the ARS List (apparently that was what I first called it)