I don't like the "suggested" product categorization that comes with the
ITSM instalation.

I documented my thoughts about product categorization at this post:

My recommendations for those applications are:

 1.- Tier 1 definitively to be "Software"
 2.- Don't be redundant, that is: don't use the product name or the product
manufacturer at tiers. The only exception to this, is when the manufacturer
name is needed for auto routing assignment.
3.- Maintain the same philosophy for all scopes. That is, tier 2 has always
the same meaning. Thus would be easier to understand for your users.

So, for instance:

Microsoft Word:   Software/Desktop/Text Processor  - Word/Microsoft
Excel: Software/Desktop/Spreadsheet - Excel/Microsoft

Thus, if your organization includes the Calc at the future:
Calc: Software/Desktop/Spreadsheet - Calc/Oracle

Thus, you can make a lot of more BI from your tickets. And also enhance the
incident review for problem discovery.

Jose Manuel Huerta
http://theremedyforit.com/