I've been doing this for years.  I've traditionally worked in Oracle shops,
where we create a separate schema on the same instance.  The data never
goes over the network.  All custom db objects go into this schema and not
the AR owned schema.  Each schema has a schema owner (schema name = account
name), so there are some grants that have to be given to allow cross-talk,
but the maintenance is minimal.  The downside to using the views is that
views can not be altered, only created and dropped.  What this means is
that if you apply a grant to a view that AR owns (a db view for a form),
and you add a field to that form, the grants to that view are gone.   For
this reason, I use the T tables when constructing views.  Tables can be
altered, and this is how Remedy does it, so the grants persist through form
modifications.

As to the statement about lob/index storage, etc.; this is typically done
using separate tablespaces.  Tablespaces are like separate storage
containers; probably the easiest way to think about them is that they are
separate files that the db uses to store stuff.  There are some
characteristics that you can define at the tablespace level (extent size,
lob characteristics, etc.) that make it advantageous to use separate
tablespaces for different objects.

The reason I separate these things out is for ease of maintenance.  Have
you ever walked into a shop that didn't do this and had an active Remedy
system that was 6 years old and under constant development?  It get's messy
in the db.  DB objects pile up; sometimes they are no longer used, and in
the end, you have a pile of db objects and you don't have a good idea if it
is something Remedy created or a person created.  It's a hell of a ball of
yarn to untangle.

Axton Grams