Mmm, I don't see why you should have a test server if it is not emulating
the production server. In your proposed approach, To share the mid-tier for
both development and test I think it can work but that it's not a good
idea. If you don't have enough room to fit all servers I would prefer:
 1.- To not have a test server, and do test on development.
 2.- To have VM for test and development, and to switch on-off depending on
what you need at the moment.

I think I would choose the first option. Ask to yourself: What advantage
provides me to have such a testing environment with a shared Mid-tier?

Well it's just a though...

Jose Manuel Huerta
http://theremedyforit.com/