Unlike email engine, approval server is not a separate service, so you
cannot monitor a service or a tcp port.
It is built in as a plugin. The components involved are approval plugin,
dispatcher, application pending entries.
The way approval server works is remedy workflow creates an entry in the
Application Pending form when it needs approval server to do something.
There is a separate daemon called the dispatcher.
The dispatcher looks at the entries in the application pending form and it
invokes the respective plugins to process the request. The entries have a
field called category, which tells what plugin  that it needs to invoke.
Once the dispatcher processes the request the application pending entry
gets deleted.
In an ideal scenario there should not be any  entries in the application
pending.
So you can monitor the data in this table at sql level or remedy api level
and if there are records older than certain time threashold that is your
alert that something is not working right in the system.
The way to restart approval server is when armonitor started initially
there is a .lck file created in the logs folder.This file contains the
approval process id.
You can have a shell program to kill that process and delete the .lck file
and armonitor will automatically restarts approval server.