One rule of thumb that I like to use is:

What does your business report on? What is important to the business?

To use Dougs example below, a smart telephone could be mapped to ~5-10 CIs. But
would you report or manage all of this information? Probably not.

You might just be interested in licensing and when is a smartphone obsolete.

Then again, you might be interested in OS upgrades, or does the phone have a
headset, or what is the replacement value, or what is the discounted value if
technology exceeds cost.

Or you might just want to have a count of who has phones? This is kind of a
funny because Doug doesn't have a smartphone. :)

The bottom line is that the CMDB has given you a blank slate and you need to do
the analysis to decide what makes sense for your company.

Analysis sometimes takes 4-5 passes. If you have legacy data, use it to do the
first pass. Legacy data will show trends and how you are currently reporting or
managing. Continued Improvement is the key goal.

Hope this helps,

Gordon