I have some test cases that do a web service calls that use an incorrect
password in them just to check that we get a proper error message back, but on
my new 7.6.04 Midtier servers, I have noticed that I am getting a different
error response that we used to on our 7.5 servers.
7.5 Midtier on Weblogic 9.2 on Solaris 9 gives this response as I would expect

<soapenv:Envelope xmlns:soapenv="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/";
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";>
   <soapenv:Body>
      <soapenv:Fault>
         <faultstring>ARERR [623] Authentication failed</faultstring>
         <detail>
            <ns1:hostname
xmlns:ns1="http://xml.apache.org/axis/";>*****</ns1:hostname>
         </detail>
      </soapenv:Fault>
   </soapenv:Body>
</soapenv:Envelope>

7.6.04 on Weblogic 10.3.6 on Linux is giving this response

<soapenv:Envelope xmlns:soapenv="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/";
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";>
   <soapenv:Body>
      <soapenv:Fault>
         <faultstring>java.lang.NullPointerException</faultstring>
         <detail>
            <ns1:hostname
xmlns:ns1="http://xml.apache.org/axis/";>*******</ns1:hostname>
         </detail>
      </soapenv:Fault>
   </soapenv:Body>
</soapenv:Envelope>

I am seeing the proper error in the Mid-Tier log files, it just doesn't seem to
be getting sent back to the web service client.

Jan 17, 2013 6:15:18 PM - FINE (com.remedy.log.INTERNAL) : Throw ARException -
ERROR (623): Authentication failed;  ERROR (623): Authentication failed;
        at com.bmc.arsys.apitransport.ApiProxyJRpcBase.verifyStatus(Unknown
Source)
        at com.bmc.arsys.apitransport.ApiProxyJRpcBase.a(Unknown Source)
        at com.bmc.arsys.apitransport.ApiProxyJRpcBase.arCall(Unknown Source)
        at com.bmc.arsys.api.ProxyJRpc.ARVerifyUser(Unknown Source)
        at com.bmc.arsys.api.ARServerUser.verifyUser(Unknown Source)
        at com.remedy.arsys.stubs.ServerLogin.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at com.remedy.arsys.stubs.ServerLogin.get(Unknown Source)
        at com.remedy.arsys.stubs.SessionData.getServerLogin(Unknown Source)
       at com.remedy.arsys.session.Login.initWebService(Unknown Source)
        at com.remedy.arsys.ws.services.ARService.login(Unknown Source)
        at com.remedy.arsys.ws.services.ARService.processRequest(Unknown Source)
        at
        at
        at
org.apache.axis.providers.java.MsgProvider.processMessage(MsgProvider.java:141)
        at
org.apache.axis.providers.java.JavaProvider.invoke(JavaProvider.java:323)
        at
org.apache.axis.strategies.InvocationStrategy.visit(InvocationStrategy.java:32)
        at org.apache.axis.SimpleChain.doVisiting(SimpleChain.java:118)
        at
org.apache.axis.handlers.soap.SOAPService.invoke(SOAPService.java:454)
        at org.apache.axis.server.AxisServer.invoke(AxisServer.java:281)
        at
org.apache.axis.transport.http.AxisServlet.doPost(AxisServlet.java:699)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:727)
        at
org.apache.axis.transport.http.AxisServletBase.service(AxisServletBase.java:327)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
        at
weblogic.servlet.internal.StubSecurityHelper$ServletServiceAction.run(StubSecurityHelper.java:227)
        at
weblogic.servlet.internal.StubSecurityHelper.invokeServlet(StubSecurityHelper.java:125)
        at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.execute(ServletStubImpl.java:301)
        at weblogic.servlet.internal.TailFilter.doFilter(TailFilter.java:26)
        at
weblogic.servlet.internal.FilterChainImpl.doFilter(FilterChainImpl.java:56)
        at
com.remedy.arsys.ws.services.security.WSSPolicyFilter.doFilter(Unknown Source)
        at
weblogic.servlet.internal.FilterChainImpl.doFilter(FilterChainImpl.java:56)
        at
weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext$ServletInvocationAction.wrapRun(WebAppServletContext.java:3730)
        at
weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext$ServletInvocationAction.run(WebAppServletContext.java:3696)
        at
weblogic.security.acl.internal.AuthenticatedSubject.doAs(AuthenticatedSubject.java:321)
        at
weblogic.security.service.SecurityManager.runAs(SecurityManager.java:120)
        at
weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.securedExecute(WebAppServletContext.java:2273)
        at
weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.execute(WebAppServletContext.java:2179)
        at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletRequestImpl.run(ServletRequestImpl.java:1490)
        at weblogic.work.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:256)
        at weblogic.work.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java:221)

The reason I am concerned is that we have tools coded to look for certain error
strings like arerr 90, etc.  Has anyone else seen this issue?

Paul Campbell  | Development Team Lead  |  TS&D SSBL, A2R WFE, and ESP Remedy
Team |  Avaya Client Services  |
|  1145 Sanctuary Parkway Lake View II  Suite 110 Alpharetta, GA  30009  |
678-421-5342

Everyone needs deadlines.  Even the beavers. They loaf around all summer, but
when they are faced with the winter deadline, they work like fury. If we didn't
have deadlines, we'd stagnate.  Walt Disney