From: Action Request System discussion list(ARSList)
[mailto:arslist@ARSLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Pierson, Shawn
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2013 6:29 AM
To: arslist@ARSLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: BMC Chat 8.0.00 experience?

To play BMC's advocate, I recall hearing that either this or a future
version will use an open chat protocol, so you can integrate it with tools
like Microsoft Lync.  Also, based on the demo I saw it seems like the chat
isn't directly tied to a specific person in this case, but rather it's more
like what you see on the web with the annoying "click here to chat with a
sales person" when you're shopping online.  I haven't installed it but based
on the demos it seems like all it provides is an alternative to a phone call
to a support hotline.  There are some benefits there, as you can have one
technician working with several people at once, and use interactive scripts
to make the customer think you are talking to them although it's just a bot.

The flaw in the whole thing is that it is based on the concept that users
are willing to use a chat client.  In most organizations I've found that not
to be the case.  This will hold especially true when the users find out that
there is the "bot" capability where they can't be sure if they are even
chatting with a human or software.  I also agree with those who think BMC
would be better off spending their time cleaning up their current ITSM suite
as well.  The money that went into the chat client could have gone into
giving Task Management an updated interface and better visibility from the
Home Page, for example.

Thanks,

Shawn Pierson
Remedy Developer | Energy Transfer