It's been a while since I dove into the approval engine, but...

You have a few options:

1) Set up a separate approval process.  Approvers can be limited to a
specific process OOTB.

2) Set up multiple accounts for the executive and send some approvals to
one account, some approvals to the other based on Product.  This isn't very
clean.

3) Add fields and workflow as overlays to AP:DetailSignature that
referenced a lookup table for secure and non-secure products.  There is
still a chance that an upgrade would be problematic, but there's no problem
with using overlays to minimize the future disruption.  Sounds like you
were trying to avoid this route, but as long as the concept remains
simple...

Thanks,
Steve