There is no white paper that I'm aware of that explains the why.

But thinking out loud about the subject just a little bit...

One issue is that the person that is assigned the ticket is assumed to be
working the ticket for reporting purposes.  They are credited with the
number of tickets worked and judged by how long they spend and the results
of surveys.

Another issue is that the person assigned the ticket is likely working the
the ticket themselves.  In smaller environments communication is a matter
of mentioning "hey, I have a solution" over the cubicle wall.  In larger
environments, it's not that easy.

And another one is that there may be a closing out process.  Before sending
a message to the end user, the person responsible for solving the ticket
would want to verify that the issue is resolved and potentially create a
knowledge base article.

Anybody can add a work info history entry, so there's that option.

There's also the option of configuring some end users such that they have
permission to update all tickets.

But as you get the complaints, I would ask the question - why are you
updating someone else's tickets?

It would be better if the tickets were assigned to the people who are
working them.  As mentioned above - you don't want work duplicated, and you
don't want the reports to reflect that some users are more productive than
they actually are.

Just my 2 cents.

Steve