It's interesting the way you mentioned that some companies operate, because
I've seen other companies take the opposite approach.  Since we're all beyond
capacity of our work loads, and it is nearly impossible to hire someone, it is
viewed as being better to buy software (which still requires an act of
Congress) than to expect one of us to build it.  A few thousand dollars extra
of maintenance versus tens of thousands or more to hire someone is a huge cost
savings.  Plus, if the software doesn't work out, you can just stop paying
maintenance and that's it.  If you hire an extra person and things don't work
out, you have a lot of issues to address in terminating them even in the most
corporate-friendly of states.

On the topic of SSO, my management often start off conversations with our BMC
account rep with some variation of, "Have you all bought JSS yet?"  It's not
that we necessarily think that's going to happen, but it was difficult for us
to explain to our upper management that we needed to buy or build an SSO tool
because BMC doesn't provide a real one in this day and age.  All we needed was
to not ask people to log in to Remedy when they hit a hyperlink if they were
already on their network PC just like SharePoint and everything else does.
Business Objects has its own built in SSO that we use so we really have no use
for a product like AtriumSSO to pass Remedy credentials out to other
applications.

Thanks,

Shawn Pierson
Remedy Developer | Energy Transfer