Seems like Linux… (maybe some other Unix … they all have this concept)

I usually use something called strace to see what is happening.

I suspect if you tried strace … you will see a bunch of "searching" for a
specific library… then after a bunch of internal "file not found"… you will
see it exit.

That may shed some light.

http://linux.die.net/man/1/strace

-John