Kevin,
I'm not sure what you are missing.  The only overlay you need is
Form, View, Field....in this case I'm not sure if you need to overlay the
column in question....

but you don't need any overlays not on this form...so you don't need the
source form that the table is based off of, nor any of the parent forms for
the join.